Vegetable Loaf – My Favorite from Mom’s Recipe
This summer at my mom’s place I was busy dishing out (rather baking out) goodies. Everytime I would tell my mom about my food misadventures :), she would say ‘jungle mein mor nacha kisne dekha!‘ which literally means, who has seen the peacock dancing in a jungle! She said if you want me to believe that you are learning to bake and getting better at it, prove it. She said I will take care of your son, you be busy in the OVEN!!
This gave me a chance, apart from recipes which I baked for them (mostly googled), to re-visit her secret recipes :) and enjoy some more tasty treat!
When V was visiting my place some time ago, she had served him this vegetable loaf & he being a foodie had loved it. And since then he has always been asking me to learn and make it. I finally did it!
Vegetable Loaf – Recipe source – My Mother
- 4 medium – Potato
- 1 cup – finely chopped Carrot
- 2 cup – finely chopped Cabbage
- 1 1/2 cup – finely chopped Cauliflower
- 1 cup – finely chopped Peas
- 1 cup – Beans
- 2 – medium Onions
- 2 – Tomatoes
- 1 tsp – Ginger
- 3-4 – green chilli
- 1/2 Tbsp – Olive Oil
- 100 gms – Fresh Paneer
- 1 cup – Cornflakes
- 1 tsp – dried mint leaves (you can use fresh)
- to taste – Black Pepper
- to taste – Salt
- Boil potatoes & grate them.
- Steam carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, peas & beans. Mix together.
- Lightly crush cornflakes & keep aside.
- Pre-heat the oven at 175 C.
- Prepare a loaf tin by greasing it.
- Fry onions in olive oil, add tomato, ginger & green chilli.
- Mix all vegetables & seasonings together.
- Now spread crushed cornflakes in the base of the tin.
- Place strips of paneer on top of cornflakes so that the base of the tin is completely and evenly covered.
- Now spread half the quantity of vegtable filling on top of it & press it down with hand. This is required to firm up the loaf so that it doesn’t fall apart upon de-moulding.
- Now place the second layer of paneer.
- Spread the remaining vegetable filling and press it again.
- Now cover with crushed cornflakes.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or till done. The loaf should brown slightly & start to leave the sides of the tin.
- De-mould. Carefully cut into slices & serve hot
I had some leftover batter, so i placed them in tarts shell & baked along with loaf. While the loaf baked, I happily gorged on them.