Eggless Red Velvet Cupcakes
Since joining blogosphere I’ve come across the unbelievably RED Cake quite often. So even I decided to give it a shot. But when I started going through recipes I realized that this cake take ounces of red coloring to get this bright red color. I couldn’t get myself to use that much color. I found to my relief that there are many who feel similarly and have used alternative variations for getting the red tint/ color.
I was quite tempted to make this Red Velvet Cupcake by Hannah of Bittersweet, but just couldn’t bring myself to add so much lemon juice, may be I will do it later.
I was quite happy when little R & D showed that a Red Velvet Cake is different shades of red from dark red to red brown also. So I guess I should own at the beginning that please do not look for that bright red here :)
After having a wonderful tasting beet cake a few months ago, I decided to make it into red velvet cupcakes. :)
I halved the recipe and it made about 10 cupcakes for me. I skipped coffee here and replaced 1/2 cup flour with wheat flour. I made cupcake liners for this project using brown paper. You can use butter paper as well in place of that. I used my individual silicone muffin cups and lined them. I was really cautious and poured only little batter in each cup, so the shape didn’t turn out as the usual cupcake shape but little too small at the bottom (more like a cone) :)
The color of the cupcakes is deep crimson & beautiful. I gave these cupcakes to a couple of neighbors and they all unanimously voted in favor of it as their kids ate it very happily. I’m specially putting a pic in which I’ve managed to capture right color of cupcake. [Please excuse my still deplorable photography skills. I really haven’t done full justice to the cupcakes]
I served it topped with whipped cream. You can serve with traditional cream cheese or Waldorf-Astoria frosting. They taste extremely well chilled & do not smell or taste of beet.
Eggless Red Velvet Cupcake –
- 1/4 Cup – Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 Cup – Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup – Beetroot Puree, (boiled, 2 medium size beets)
- 60gms – Dark Chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp – Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 Cup – APF
- 1/2 Cup – Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp – Baking Powder
- a pinch – Salt
- Pre-heat oven at 190 C. Grease a muffin pan or individual cups.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together oil & brown sugar. Add beets, melted chocolate and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sieve flour, baking powder & salt, mix well.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 mins, till a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 mins. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Linking this to –
- Let’s Bake Love – My own event
- Lets Cook/ Bake for Valentine – Simply Food
- Bon Vivant # 12 – Sumee’s Culinary Bites
- Sweet Luv – 2013 by Cook’s Joy
- Favorite Recipe – Non-Indian Food an event started by Swathi
- Bake Fest # 16 guest hosted by My Cook Book, event started by Vardhini
- Chocolate Lover by Daily Cuppa