‘Pudding’ evokes expectation & taste of a cake topped with whipped cream and some fruits thrown in. Even I imagined it to be the same when my mom told me that she is making it for me.
But I couldn’t be more wrong.
It doesn’t resemble pudding in structure but every bit as heavenly. Since my mom calls it pudding, I will continue calling it too. :)
It is a perfect make-ahead dessert ready to be served for a party. It is very simple to put together with some basic ingredients at home.
And it has a special ingredient which I couldn’t believe. Can you guess? No? I know you won’t be able to either. It has bottle gourd in it.
Yes. You read right – bottle gourd. It is very difficult to decipher the taste and you can easily feed the gourd-haters some gourd on the sly. I would love being one-up here.
I made it for my in-laws and they relished it too including my toddler, who along with her dad, enjoys my cooking most.
A very easy and quick to make-ahead dessert. Just throw in the ingredients together and chill. Serve.
- 300g of canned pineapple, drained & grated
- 200g of bottle gourd, grated & boiled
- 300g of heavy cream
- 200g of castor sugar, adjust according to taste
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced or silvered + 1 tablespoon for garnishing
- Squeeze out excess water from bottle gourd. Reserve the juice and use it to knead dough or add to soup. I hate wasting food, so I would use it.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients well. Reserve 1 Tbsp almonds for garnishing. Taste and adjust sweetness if required. Since the pineapple is sweetened, I have kept low sugar. If you need more, it is quite to easy to add more.
- Transfer to individual cups/ glasses or in the same dish only. Cover each glass with plastic wrap and chill.
- Before serving garnish with some more almonds sliver, mint leaves, mango or any other fruit of the season. Serve cold.
Taste of pineapple should be more than that of bottle gourd. If you think bottle gourd is stronger tasting, then add more pineapple or reduce bottle gourd.
Copyright, 2015 Lemon in Ginger. All Rights Reserved.