Candied Ginger is a tangy and sweet condiment which can be eaten as a palate cleaner or just a small snack to munch on. It is mostly used in baking as part of Xmas cakes and bakes.
After getting Candied Orange Peel right, I got confidence to go ahead and make candied ginger.
It is similar and super easy.
The only thing you have to watch out is time. The cook time is much lesser due to less quantity and type of food.
Chop in any size or shape you want as each ginger piece is different.
I sliced them thin and further chopped them into bite size for soaking.
The after taste of candied ginger is also exceptionally good.
You can use them to make cookies/ biscotti too if you like.
- ¾ cup fresh ginger cleaned, chopped/ sliced
- ½ cup sugar granulated
- ½ cup water
- castor sugar for rolling the peel
- Add the ginger strips or bites in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring it to a boil. Simmer the heat for 2 minutes. Strain and discard the water.
- Repeat the process 2 more times. Boiling and draining repeatedly in water helps in removing most of the bitter taste of ginger.
- Heat water and sugar in a pan. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and let it cook for 5-6 minutes. Add ginger. Cook for 15-20 minutes till it turns translucent.
- Do not stir during this process otherwise their will be crystallization.
- Roll the peel in castor sugar. Arrange on a wire rack and let dry overnight.
- Store in an airtight container.