Chocolate Wine Cake
Chocolate Wine Cake is an eggless whole wheat cake made in chocolate flavour and red wine. If you wish you can skip the wine and make it alcohol free. But I would highly recommend making it with wine.
After a no-bake dessert for V’s birthday I get back to baking a cake for myself.
My biggest wish of all time is to have someone else bake a cake for me. I wish I could celebrate one more birthday at my mother’s place.
Till then I bake and cook for myself.
Ever since I cooked with wine a few weeks ago, I have been looking for opportunity to add wine to my creations.
I came across this Death by Chocolate Mousse Cake and decided to replace the water with red wine.
My initial plan was to top this cake with mousse as in the original recipe and enclose in a chocolate collar, then due to limited time & resources, it was changed to topping with ganache and finally that also didn’t happen and ended up sprinkling some powdered sugar.
This made the cake a simpler but nevertheless a scrumptious version. I must say I didn’t regret it.
It is worthy of being touted as the best cake I made.
Also I got a chance to practice ‘freezing motion’ shots with sprinkling of sugar.
Over to the recipe.
Chocolate Wine Cake
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup oil you can use olive oil or coconut oil too
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- ¾ cup red wine
- 2-4 tbsp milk please see notes
- Preheat the oven to 190 C. Grease and line a 9-inch spring-form pan or 8-inch square pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, and sugar directly in a medium bowl. In a 2 cup measuring cup or small bowl, measure and mix together the oil, wine, coffee, and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a fork or a small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. The batter may look curdled as the baking soda and vinegar react. Don’t worry, it is normal. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour it into the prepared pan and put it in the oven right away. Bake for 30 minutes and allow to cool in the pan.
- Remove and sprinkle with powdered sugar when ready to serve.