Moong Dal Cheela
Moong Dal Cheela is a delicious snack made with Split Green Gram. It is a Savory crepe filled with Ricotta Cheese. It is served in most North-Indian weddings.
These crepes transport me to a North-Indian Wedding. It is almost a must snack in most weddings.
And among the entire wedding fare, these are far more nutritious than others. It is protein rich and tasty too.
It is quite simple to make and requires only overnight soaking of the lentil, slightly sautéing or par-boiling peas and your are good to go. It is another one from my mother’s special recipes.
It is always a loved snack by me and post marriage, even V has started frequently requesting it.
Moong Dal Cheela
- 1 cup split green gram moong da
- 1 cup peas shelled & par-boiled
- 2 tomatoes
- 100 grams cottage cheese grated, paneer
- 1 tsp ghee clarified butter
- a pinch asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- to taste salt
- Soak dal overnight.
- Strain it & grind it fine in a grinder. Use as little water as possible for grinding. Add a pinch of asafoetida & salt.
- Now use hand mixer to incorporate air into the batter. Keep adding little water & mixing for 5-7 mins.
- Add enough water to bring the batter to a spreadable consistency.
- Allow it to stand for few minutes.
- In the meanwhile, heat ghee in a thick bottom pan and saute all the ingredients except paneer and batter.
- Add chopped paneer to the prepared filling.
- Heat a skillet or dosa pan or any flat bottom crepes pan.
- Spread 1/2 cup batter on the pan, drizzle little oil around the edges of crepe. Allow the crepe to cook from one side. Using a flat spatula, turn over the crepe and cook the other side.
- Spread 1 tbsp of filling in the centre of the crepe and overlap the two sides, enclosing the filling inside the crepe. Remove from skillet carefully.
- Serve hot with chutney.