Roasted Banana Ice cream
Roasted Banana Ice cream is made without an ice cream maker and is a great option for using those overripe bananas. Top this delish ice cream with some homemade Lemon Caramel Sauce.
Anybody looking to use up leftover Banana recipes has come to the right place. I have plenty of them coz I always have few of bananas in freezer.
And every time I look for new ways to use them up.
Summer is right here – hot and not so good.
The process is quite simple – roast bananas in sugar & butter, churn it in blender with some milk & cream and voila!
I topped it with some chopped walnuts & lemon caramel sauce
I don’t have an ice cream maker and used the ‘Still Freezing’ method for ice cream, which involves blending the ice-cream 2-3 times to break down ice crystals. I used this method for the first time and was very happy with the result.
Now, I will be making ice-cream quite regularly here.
Roasted Banana Ice cream
For Ice cream:
- 7 small-sized ripe bananas peeled & sliced
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 2¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup full cream
- 3 tbsp sugar granulated
- ½ tsp lemon essence
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
For Lemon Caramel Sauce:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tbsp lemon essence
- a pinch salt
- walnuts chopped
For the Ice cream:
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Toss the bananas with the brown sugar and butter in a baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, stirring once during baking, until the bananas are browned and cooked through.
- Scrape the bananas and the thick syrup in the baking dish into a blender. Add the milk, cream, granulated sugar, lemon essence, lemon juice and salt, and purée until smooth.
- Quickly scrape else the melted sugar will harden, making it difficult to scrape later.
- Transfer to a container and place in freezer. After 2 hours, take it out and blend again. If too hard, leave outside until thawed and then proceed or whisk it.
- Repeat this step 2-3 times every 2 hours. The idea is to remove as much water crystals from the ice cream as possible.
- After 2-3 repeat cycle of blending, place it the container in freezer & allow to set overnight. Serve
- chilled & enjoy with sauce.
For the Lemon Caramel Sauce:
- Put all the ingredients together in a thick bottom pan. Place the pan on a slow flame and using a whisk continuously mix the ingredients gently for 5-7 mins. When it reaches desired consistency remove from flame.
- If the sauce is too thin, cook for another few minutes.
- Pour the sauce over ice cream when serving and sprinkle some chopped walnuts.