Vegetable Gold Coin
Vegetable Gold Coin is a bread based snack that has toppings of boiled mix vegetables, both deep fried together. A good way of feeding kids lots vegetables with minimum effort is the best part of this recipe. The base of bread fried together adds to crunch and taste to the recipe.
Vegetable Gold Coins trigger the day when both my elder Sister & I were down with typhoid and our aunt had visited us. I wanted to eat Gold Coins that day.
My parents understood that feeding rich and fried food wouldn’t get approval from anyone visiting sick children. So they were smuggled-in to us. What adventurous lives we led as kids!
So now each time I eat them, or want to eat them, I remember that day and how exciting it was for us kids.
My mother made them for me when I was visiting. Vegetable Gold Coins are actually quite simple to make. They are also perfect for kids with lots of vegetables hidden and presented well.
The only side effect is deep frying. I am thinking of baking them next time. May be the guilt trip will be less.
I suggest using a big sandwich loaf to get good shape and size slices or even cut two small rings from one slice.
Since we made it in summers, the colours of the vegetables are not perfect. I strongly recommend making it in winters when all the colourful veggies are in season.
The taste is out of this world and you will simply love them. The crust is crunchy and the filling on the top melts in the mouth.
Vegetable Gold Coin
- 1 cup - Boiled Mix Veg carrots, cabbage, peas, beans
- 1 - Boiled Potato
- 1 tsp - Amchoor
- salt - to taste
- 1/2 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp - Coriander Powder
- 1 Bread
- Oil for frying
- Add all spices and boiled vegetables together to make filling.
- Using a bowl or cookie cutter or a lid, cut round shape slices from each bread slice.
- Take water in a small bowl. Now dip your fingers in a little water and pat it on the cut slices.
- Place the filling on top of the slice and press it gently but firmly.
- Again pat little water on top. You can pat little cornflour and water paste if you like.
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil is hot, place the prepared gold coins with filling side up and deep fry them. Do not turn over the gold coins.
- When they are golden brown, gently remove them. Serve hot with chutney or sauce.