Kanji ka Pani
Kanji ka Pani is winter drink helping us to cope with harsh winters and allow our body to adjust to the coming season. It requires few black carrots, but if black carrots are not available, then you can make using red carrots and beetroot. Read on to know how to make Kanji ka Pani without black carrots.
- 500 gram black carrots kaali gajar
- 150 gram beetroot chukundar
- 2½ tbsp dehusked mustard seeds rai ki dal
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 litres water
- to taste salt
Wash and peel carrots and beetroot. Now slice them both into 1½-2 inches long and about 1 cm wide slices. The slices should be thin enough to enjoy biting into them once the drink is ready. I divided the carrot into 6-8 pieces depending upon the thickness of the carrot and then chopped them roughly in 2 inches length.
Select a glass jar big enough to accommodate all the carrots and water. The jar should have an air-tight lid. You can choose a pickle jar (martaban).
Add mustard seeds, red chili powder, salt, carrots, beetroots along with water in the jar.
Place the jar in the sun. Allow it to ripen in sun for 4-5 days. If the sunlight is weak then it may take upto 6-8 days. You can move it inside in evening and return it to sunlight during the day.
It is done when the water turns sour and tangy and the color changes to deep wine or pink depending on the carrot you are using.
When you open the lid of the jar, it will also release a slightly pungent smell. But don't worry it is normal and is a characteristic smell of Kanji ka Pani. Serve Kanji ka pani in glasses.
- A winter beverage typically made using black carrots and loads of water. Simple and too good.
- Winter is a time to build our health and immunity. The age old wisdom tells us to follow the cues of weather to maintain our well being. It prepares us for the coming season.
- Kanji is not only easy to make but loaded with health benefits like aids digestion, improves eye health, helps fight inflammation, provides instant energy and many more.
- I used red carrots as black carrots are not available here but go ahead and use black carrots and replace the beetroot quantity as well with black carrots.