Cardamom Cinnamon Cake is a great tea cake for all the season lovers. It’s a great way to warm yourself up in front of the fire. Bite into this cake for a earthy taste and flavours.
Happy 2018 guys and gals out there. Thank you for staying with me one more year and I hope we continue to build recipes and memories together. The blog is almost 7 years old! The seven-year itch happened major time last year but thankfully I feel my mojo back on track.
Past year has been a lot about shedding what is needed in life – be it materialistic things, emotions or people. I brought in the New Year leaving behind things and people who were not adding to me and more importantly where expectations mismatch was happening from either side.
Every time I want to make a snack or coffee cake, this is my go-to recipe which I have adapted several times over years to make different versions.
For a perfect Secret Santa gift, I again used this recipe. I added season’s flavour with cardamom, cinnamon, orange zest and almonds. The slices made for perfect gift along with some more DIY edible gifts that I had prepared.
The topping turned out to be the best part. I sliced and gave this cake as Secret Santa gifts to few of my friends. Each of them specifically spoke about the crunchiness of the topping. So don’t shy away from it.
You can add more winter flavors like all spice powder, nutmeg etc. The recipe is very adaptable to each one’s taste.
Each bite is moist and crunchy because of the topping. Must, must try cake especially with topping.
Cardamom Cinnamon Cake
for the cake
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yogurt homemade curd
- ¾ cup sugar granulated
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp orange zest freshly grated
for the topping
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp sugar granulated
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Grease and line a loaf pan.
for the topping
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients and set aside.
for the cake
- Sift flour 2-3 times.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and yogurt for 5 minutes on high speed. Add baking powder and baking soda, beat in on low, and allow to stand for 3 minutes. You will find that bubbles appear. Beat in the oil and vanilla extract to the curd mixture. Slowly add the flour in 4 lots, blending in well after each addition. Add in orange zest, cardamom powder and cinnamon powder. Mix well.
- Pour batter in the prepared pan. Scatter the topping over the batter. Bake at 200°C for 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 170-180°C and bake for 45 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 30 minutes and then overturn onto a plate. Wait for at least 2 hours before slicing it, else it doesn’t slice neatly.
- The topping turned out to be the best part. I sliced and gave this cake as Secret Santa gifts to few of my friends. Each of them specifically spoke about the crunchiness of the topping. So don’t shy away from it.
- You can add more winter flavors like all spice powder, nutmeg etc. The recipe is very adaptable to each one’s taste.