No-Knead Light Bread is made with Whole Wheat flour. It is a light and crusty bread for a great side to soups and curries.
After baking the Olive Bread a few weeks ago, I had enough dough leftover for one more loaf.
This time I shaped it into a simple boule & baked as a plain loaf.
This recipe is a keeper & a frequent addition at my place.
No-Knead Light Whole Wheat Bread
- 1½ cup lukewarm water
- ½ tbsp instant yeast
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp cornflour
- ¼ cup water for cornstarch wash
- Pour water in a 3-quart bowl. Add salt & yeast. Mix using a wooden spoon.
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients without kneading. Use a wooden spoon. You may need to use wet hands to incorporate the last bit of flour.
- Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature till the dough rises & flattens on top, roughly 2 hours. Refrigerate the dough without closing the container air-tight.
- On the baking day, dust the refrigerated dough with flour & cut a pound size piece.
- Again sprinkle some flour on the dough. Working quickly use your thumbs & palms to stretch the dough downwards and keep tucking it under using your fingers. Rotate & continue around till you get an evenly shaped ball. It is explained with a tutorial here.
- Place the prepared dough on a pizza peel or worktop liberally sprinkled with semolina. Cover with plastic wrap or overturned bowl and allow to rise for 90 minutes.
- Prepare the cornstarch wash by mixing 1 tsp of water with cornflour and then adding the remaining water. Boil or microwave the mixture till it becomes glassy.
- Preheat the oven to 230 C. Paint the loaf with prepared cornstarch wash. Slash in any pattern of your choice about 1/2 inch deep.
- Slide the dough onto the baking tray, quickly cover with another aluminium pan to facilitate steam generation. Bake for 25 minutes covered, remove the overturned pan & bake for another 15 minutes to brown well.