Oats Cookies with Choco Chips are eggless variety made with amaranth flour. They are mildly sweet with just the right amount. They satisfy the sweet cravings very well.
I have a news to share. I am now a guest recipe blogger at The Royale and will be developing several recipes for them hopefully, going forward.
I haven’t used whole wheat here as I already have made several cookie recipes in past using it, I wanted to try a different combination this time.
The cookie has just the right amount of sweetness and crunch. Kids and adults both will like it and I must own that it is very worthy of competing with well-known brands ever present in the shopping-mall & can demand possibly higher price than them. So go and create one for yourself and enjoy in the coming festive season.
Oats Cookies with Choco Chips
- 140 gram all purpose flour
- 30 gram instant oats quick cooking
- 30 gram amaranth flour
- 120 gram unsalted butter softened
- 125 gram sugar powdered
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp semolina sooji
- 100 gram chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbsp milk optional
- Start by bringing all the ingredients to room temperature if they were refrigerated. It’s best to keep the refrigerated ingredients on the counter 30 minutes prior to baking.
- In a large bowl, sieve together all purpose flour, amaranth flour, semolina, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat together butter & powdered sugar till it turns light & is fluffy.
- Add pure vanilla extract. Beat for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add sieved flour mixture & oats to wet mixture slowly using your fingertips. It should resemble like bread crumbs.
- Slowly knead a soft dough using your hands. Add little milk, if required to bring the dough together.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate the dough overnight. You can even do it for couple of hours if you are short on time. Do not skip this step. You can store refrigerated dough for upto 3 days.
- On the day of baking, Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the bowl from refrigerator and allow it to soften a bit if it is too hard.
- Roll in chocolate chips into the dough and knead it slowly again.
- Using a melon scooper, scoop out small portion of dough and make small balls. Gently flatten them by pressing, into discs.
- You may need to lightly oil your palms before handling the dough. In between steps also keep lightly oiling your palms if required.
- If the dough gets sticky and not manageable then put the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes. It behaves well when cold.
- Place the cookies on prepared baking sheet 1 inch apart from sides & from each other.
- Using a fork or knife, pierce the upper layer of cookies making small indentations on. You can add some chocolate chips on top, if you like.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes in the preheated oven or just until the edges are slightly firm but center is still soft. I recommend a soft fudgy cookie than a firmer one.
- For moist chewy cookies do not over bake or else cookies will dry out.
- Leave to cool on tray for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days. You can also store them in refrigerator in an air tight box for upto 10-15 days.
- You can use only all-purpose flour & replace the quantity of amaranth flour with oats or all purpose flour.
- You can also substitute 50% of all purpose flour with whole wheat flour to make them healthier.
- You can substitute powdered sugar with light brown sugar.
- Milk is needed sometimes to bind the dough together. If you do not use oats & whole flours then you may not need to add any milk.
- Check for doneness of cookies, when the top is firm and underside is slightly soft.
- The time of bake would also depend upon the thickness of your cookies.
- Use double cookie trays for baking chocolate chip cookies, and the lower element only in the oven.
- Measure the ingredients correctly. Use standard cups and spoon measures to measure them.
- All the ingredients must be at room temperature.
- Use best quality ingredients to make this crinkle cookie recipe.
- This recipe can be halved, doubled, or tripled. Make sure to use the baking tray accordingly. The baking time will also differ.