Baked Vegetable Loaf is a delicious loaf savoury cake. It is made of mix vegetables, layers of ricotta cheese or cottage cheese and sprinkled with corn flakes.
This summer at my mom’s place I was busy dishing out (rather baking out) goodies. Every time I would tell my mom about my food misadventures :), she would say ‘jungle mein mor nacha kisne dekha!‘ which literally means, who has seen the peacock dancing in a jungle! She said if you want me to believe that you are learning to bake and getting better at it, prove it. She said I will take care of your son, you be busy in the OVEN!!
This gave me a chance, apart from recipes which I baked for them (mostly googled), to re-visit her secret recipes :) and enjoy some more tasty treat!
You can chop vegetables and grate potatoes a day in advance to make it easy to assemble on the day of serving the loaf.
A very healthy and nutritious snack or a side dish for kids and adults alike.
You can add or remove any vegetable of your choice. I also added grated cheese to make it more interesting for the young ones, but you can easily skip it.
When V was visiting my place some time ago, she had served him this vegetable loaf & he being a foodie had loved it. And since then he has always been asking me to learn and make it. I finally did it!
Baked Vegetable Loaf
- 4 potatoes medium size
- 1 cup carrot finely chopped
- 2 cup cabbage finely chopped
- 1½ cup cauliflower finely chopped
- 1 cup peas finely chopped
- 1 cup french beans finely chopped
- 2 onions medium size
- 2 to matoes medium size
- 1 inch ginger finely chopped
- 3-4 green chilies
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 200 gram cottage cheese fresh paneer
- 1 cup cornflakes
- ½ cup cheese grated
- 1 tsp homemade dried mint
- to taste crushed black pepper & salt
- Boil potatoes & grate them. Steam carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, peas & beans. Mix together and set aside. In a ziplock bag, lightly crush cornflakes & keep aside.
- Pre-heat the oven at 170 °C. Prepare a loaf tin by lining and greasing it.
- In a thick bottom pan, fry onions in olive oil, add tomato, ginger & green chilli. Mix all steamed vegetables, grated potato & seasoning together.
- Now spread half of the crushed cornflakes in the base of the tin. Place strips of paneer on top of cornflakes so that the base of the tin is completely and evenly covered. Spread half the quantity of vegetable filling on top of it & press it down with the back of a spoon. This is required to firm up the loaf so that it doesn’t fall apart upon de-moulding.
- Now place the second layer of paneer and spread the remaining vegetable filling and press it again. Cover on top with remaining crushed cornflakes.
- Bake for 20 mins or till done. The loaf should brown slightly & start to leave the sides of the tin. Flip over the tin carefully onto the serving platter. Gently cut into slices & serve hot with garlic bread or toast and butter.
- You can chop vegetables and grate potatoes a day in advance to make it easy to assemble on the day of serving the loaf.
- A very healthy and nutritious snack or a side dish for kids and adults alike.
- You can add or remove any vegetable of your choice. I also added grated cheese to make it more interesting for the young ones, but you can easily skip it.