Tres Leche Mocha Cake is a sheet cake. It is soaked in three milks (and that is why the name Tres Leche) and with coffee and chocolate adding their goodness to it. It is then topped with Dulce de Leche Glaze and some chocolate chips.
Some cakes are meant for potlucks and occasions. They are too sinful to be enjoyed on a regular basis. Such cakes pleasure us despite being utterly calorie laden.
I have made tres leche cake earlier when I attended a potluck in the city and now after over 2 years I made it again for Ravaly’s birthday. All my friends couldn’t stop gushing about it and wanted me to teach them, till I told them that they are eating 2 cans of condensed milk. ;)
You can use any sponge cake for the base and follow the process for soaking and glazing and use any version of topping including whipped cream. The essence lies in soaking the cake in tres leches mixture which literally means 3 milks.
The cake is super rich, moist and heavenly to bite into.
Tres Leche Mocha Cake
for the cake
for Tres Leches soaking mixture
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 400 gram condensed milk
- ¼ cup +2 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ cup strong coffee brew
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 vanilla beans
- 3 tbsp dark rum optional
for the Dulce de Leche glaze
- 400 gram dulce de leche
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
for the cake
- Pre-heat oven to 170 °C. Lightly grease and line a 13X10 inch pyrex dish.
- In a large bowl, combine together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a separate small bowl, mix curd or buttermilk, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and apple sauce.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl until just mixed. I added another teaspoon of curd to adjust the consistency. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or till the tooth pick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pan.
for Tres Leches soaking mixture
- In a large bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream and rum. Add in coffee brew, cinnamon powder and vanilla beans. Allow them to steep in and absorb maximum flavours for at least 1 hour. Tres Leche soaking liquid is prepared.
assembling the cake
- Once the cake has cooled and run a sharp, thin-bladed knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake from the sides.
- Poke holes in the cake with a skewer or point of a small, sharp knife at ½ inch intervals. Slowly pour the soaking liquid over the cake. Let it sit for a few minutes to absorb. If it’s slow to absorb, run a knife around the edges of the cake again and poke a few more holes.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator to chill for at least 8 hours or overnight. Spread dulce de leche over cake, sprinkle with chopped walnuts and chocolate chips. You can also pipe some pattern with melted chocolate. Place the cake back in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- You can use any sponge cake for the base and follow the process for soaking and glazing.
- You can also use any version of topping including whipped cream.
Homemade Dulce de Leche
- 1 can condensed milk unopened
- Remove the plastic lid from the can, if any.
- Fill a pressure cooker halfway with water. Place the condensed milk can in it. The water should be enough to cover the can completely.
- Place the lid of cooker along with the weight. Allow the pressure to build up and released through the whistle.
- ower the flame and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes (including the time needed for pressure to build up). The timing will vary upon the end result you desire – thickness, color and taste.
- Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to completely release. Open the lid & remove the can.
- Allow the can to cool completely. Once cooled, open it and use as you desire.
- I used a 5 liter pressure cooker. You would need this much or even 10 liter to submerge the can well.
- Do NOT open the lid of the can before cooking.
- The cooking time to vary as per desired result. The longer you keep, the thicker it would be. The taste would be stronger & color darker.
- I kept mine for 20 minutes and mine was very thick & dark. I prefer lighter in color & more runny, so I would be keeping it for 15 minutes or less.
- Use the cooking time & whistle as a guide.
- Allow the can to cool completely before opening or it may burn you.
- You can refrigerate the Dulce de Leche can for 1 month.
- If the sauce thickens, microwave in small bursts to achieve desired consistency.