Chocolate Walnut Cake is a true chocolate heaven. Every bite is soft, moist and chocolatey. This cake is really like a true love. Topped with chopped walnuts, this is a great tea cake.
Valentine always make me want Brownies. This year was no different. But time & weight watch doesn’t let me indulge in this often. Most of the baked goodies are eaten by me or V with kids hardly eating more than few spoonful. So I not only have to watch my own weight but V’s also.
I am still very tempted to make a brownie though. :) And you might see it soon here.
Coming back to the cake, I made one version of this cake last year for my friend’s birthday in office. It was a huge success. So much so that I got orders for this cake. I have recommended this cake to many who wanted eggless cakes and every time the feedback has been great.
Few weeks ago when I was meeting my dear friend & blogger Tes, I decided to bake her a Chocolate Walnut version of the same cake. And from the feedback I got from her, it was loved by her too!!
So this is one cake which is loved by all! Any version is a delight to eat! Go ahead and make this to please everyone around you.
Chocolate Walnut Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour sieved
- 1 cup yogurt homemade curd
- ¾ cup sugar granulated
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup walnuts chopped & slightly roasted
- ½ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 200 °C. Grease a 6-inch round pan, and line the bottom.
- Beat the sugar and yogurt for 5 minutes on high speed. Add baking powder and baking soda, beat in on low, and allow to stand for 3 minutes. You will find that bubbles appear.
- Sift cocoa powder & flour together 2-3 times.
- Beat in the oil and vanilla extract. Next, slowly add the flour mixture in 4 lots, blending in well after each addition.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake at 200 °C for 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 170 °C and bake for 40-45 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 30 minutes and then overturn onto a plate.
- Wait for at least 2 hours before slicing it, else it doesn’t slice neatly.
- If you want to add dried fruits and nuts in the batter than slightly roast them and coat in flour before adding.
- I used oil for my cake.
- Like a quickbread it is best to slice the cake next day.
- I have realized that the baking time in OTG & convection microwave oven may vary. I bake in convection mode of my Microwave and hence timing are according to that. eg this cake takes 25 minutes at after reducing temp 170°C in the convection mode, but it takes much lesser in OTG. So please monitor time based on the appliance you are using.