Old Fashion Chocolate Cake is the delicious eggless layered cake made using vinegar. It a chocolate base filled and frosted with chocolate ganache.
I made a layered cake after over a year, last was this Coffee Chocolate Mocha Cake in April 2014 on occasion of our anniversary and blogversary. Slowly we are moving away from too much sugar or rich food but on occasions, I think they are justified. :)
I decided to revisit another of my old recipe which was a very big hit last time I made it here. That was 3 years ago!! This time the occasion was my own birthday, I have baked few layered cakes for my self in last 4 years including – checkerboard cake and pineapple cake.
I kept the recipe simple using only ganache to fill and frost the cake and soaked the layers in little bit of sugar syrup. You can make a full recipe cake and then slice into three layers but I am not very neat with slicing, hence cut-down the recipe to make 3 separate layers. Alternatively you can bake 3 layers in a big oven together but I don’t have that too.
The consistency of ganache for topping and filling is different. For filling, you need thick consistency (which you get by leaving the ganache at room temperature for few hours) and for pouring as topping, you need the ganache to be pouring consistency. You can re-heat/ warm up the ganache to adjust the consistency.
The cake is moist, perfect sweetness and rich to bite into. This is a crowd pleaser if you are looking for a party. The flavours matures well if you allow the cake to set overnight in refrigerator.
Old Fashion Chocolate Cake
for the cake:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup +1 tbsp sugar granulated
- ⅛ cup + 1 tsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- ¼ tsp baking soda heaped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup hot water
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
for the sugar syrup:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- chocolate ganache filling and covering the cake
for the cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C. Line the bottom of one 8 inch pan.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda & salt in a large mixing bowl. Do not use mixer.
- Combine water, oil, vinegar, instant coffee & vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Add to the dry ingredients & whisk till just combined. A few lumps are fine.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan & bake for 20-25 mins till tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on the rack for 15 minutes, then invert it on the rack. Leave it upside down to cool, it helps in flattening any dome shape.
- I baked three layers by baking this recipe thrice separately. And then froze the layers wrapped in cling film.
for the sugar syrup:
- Boil water & sugar together. Once it boils, lower the flame & allow it to heat for another 1 minute. Remove from heat & cool completely. It can be made in advance & stored in refrigerator.
assembling the cake:
- Move the frozen layers to refrigerator few hours before assembling. Place the first layer on a platter or cake stand.
- Make some holes into the bottom layer using a form. Soak the bottom layer in sugar syrup. Then lightly spread chocolate ganache over it. Place the second layer on top of the bottom layer & repeat the process of soaking & spreading ganache. Finally place the top layer & again soak it. Lightly spread the ganche on top & sides of the cake. Refrigerate the cake for 1 hr.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack. Place a cookie sheet under it to catch any excess dripping chocolate ganache.
- Pour the ganache in the center of the cake & tilt the rack to cover the sides of the cake as well.
- Allow the excess to run down the sides of the cake. Decorate with chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the cake until ganache sets (about 1 hr). I refrigerated for 24 hrs prior to cutting covered in a cake dome as I wanted the flavors to really set in. Serve chilled.