Chocolate Zucchini Bread is a sweet quickbread for everyday breakfast. It is a kid friendly recipe for the fussy eater’s tiffin. It is even perfect for potlucks or quick snacks.
When we organised the potluck for Holi few weeks ago, I had some zucchini and yellow squash leftover. So what to do but use it up. Thankfully, all the girls in our group are very open to experimenting with new flavours. We followed the theme of English Breakfast and initially my plan was to make savoury scones but by then I had used up peppers, broccoli etc in salads.
I love zucchini in most of my food, the taste is very neutral and makes it easy to be added to any type of food. Since everyone in my group loves bakes, it was no brainer to use that zucchini to bake some quickbread.
I wasn’t expecting the tremendous response this bread got. They just couldn’t stop gushing about it. Some of them even tried it out before I could post the recipe here. I made quite a few changes based on what was available with me and reduced sugar by 1/4 cup and used jaggery powder instead of brown sugar or granulated white sugar.
The bread was moist, soft with barely a hint of zucchini and perfect for breakfast. The sweetness was mild and pleasant. A must bake at least once for all you chefs out there.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1¼ cup zucchini & yellow squash grated
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp all spice powder garam masala
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple sauce unsweetened
- ¾ cup jaggery powder
- 6-8 tbsp yogurt homemade curd or buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup tutti-fruiti & chopped dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Line and grease an 8X4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, all spice powder and cinnamon. In another large bowl beat together oil, apple sauce, jaggery powder, curd and vanilla extract. Fold in the grated zucchini and squash in the wet ingredients bowl.
- Now add dry ingredients and mix gently till combined. Fold in chocolate chips, tutti-fruiti and dried cherries. Pour the batter in prepared pan and bake for 60-65 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely. Slice it and enjoy when cold.