Brown Rice Lettuce Wraps are a delicious and healthy snack or a meal. Made with brown rice, boiled chickpeas, raw veggies and some cheese cubes – they hit all the right notes.
Another of my creation born out of cleaning up the refrigerator. Very easy to put together and healthy to the boot. All you need is some lettuce leaves and rest is totally up to you. You can even use cabbage leaves if you like.
I would love to use purple cabbage in place of lettuce. You can also substitute chickpea with cowpea or kidney beans and brown rice with any rice of your choice.
Brown Rice Lettuce Wraps
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup chickpea chole
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 8-9 leaves iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup tomatoes cubed
- ¼ cup onions cubed
- ¼ cup zucchini & yellow squash cubed
- 2 tbsp cheese cubed
- to taste salt
- Soak chickpeas overnight. Boil it till tender. Set aside. Cook rice with roughly 1¾ times of water till reaches al dente stage. Drain if any water is leftover. Pour little oil on top to avoid grains sticking together. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together, except lettuce leaves, in a large bowl. Set lettuce leaves and scoop out a generous helping of salad and place it in lettuce leaves. Drizzle some herb oil or any topping of your choice and enjoy the healthy meal.
- It tastes best when served cold.
- The salad is very forgiving and you can substitute or add any thing as per your taste or preference.
- I used apple cider vinegar as it was in the pantry, else balsamic vinegar will go very well with it.