Steamed Cauliflower with Lemon Sauce is a deliciously simple recipe. The whole cauliflower head is steamed and then served with lemon sauce. It goes very well with bread of your choice.
Check more simple dinner ideas like – roasted vegetables, roasted tomatoes, ratatouille.
This is a recipe which is not mine and I googled it many years ago… 5-6 years I guess.
And this has stayed with me and become an important part of our palate, for it’s simplicity and taste.
So much so, that I have even served it to my father-in-law who to his credit never shies away from trying anything new. And he gave it a thumbs up too.
When I decided to post this recipe here, I tried looking for the original recipe but couldn’t remember or found that link again. So anybody out there to whom this recipe belongs, this is not plagiarism. Do let me know and I will give a ‘link’ credit. But in words I am giving you the credit right here & now.
The key to its great taste is the buttery lemon sauce.
Butter being butter lends the characteristic smoothness & richness, while lemon adds to the tangy palate. Just mildly seasoned with salt & black pepper if you wish and you have a healthy & tasty recipe on hand.
It also makes a perfect make-ahead side dish for a party. You can steam the cauliflower & keep aside. When ready to serve, just microwave and pour sauce.
We usually pair it with some home-made bread.
Steamed Cauliflower with Lemon Sauce
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2-3 tbsp salted butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- to taste salt & black pepper
- Wash & trim the cauliflower. Take care not to trim deep enough for the florets to come apart.
- Fill the bottom vessel of your steamer (microwave safe) with water. Add little salt to it. Place trimmed cauliflower in the steam basket. Close the lid & place the whole contraption in microwave. Microwave it for 9-10 minutes. I use my microwave steamer for it, you can use any other steamer as well.
- The head should be tender enough for a knife to pierce through it with little resistance, but should not be very soft. Switch off the microwave but allow the steamer to sit inside the microwave for another 3-5 minutes. This allows the residual steam to continue cooking the cauliflower.
- Remove the steamer, strain the leftover water and plate the steamed cauliflower head in the serving dish.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, heat the butter in a small pan, as soon as it begins to brown remove from flame and add lemon juice & the zest.
- Pour the lemon butter sauce over the steamed cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper as per taste. Serve hot with bread.
can’t remember the last time i had cauliflower.. never steamed one before! definitely need to make the recipe. thanks for sharing it!
Thank you Thalia. It is a must try and healthy too.