Homemade Pizza Sauce is a must make at the beginning of spring is tomatoes are abundantly available and at a steal too. This sauce is tempered with Italian seasonings and cooked slowly for 40-60 minute to release complete flavor.
I am re-visiting my old recipes in new avatar it seems and this revisit is not intentional.
I have a pizza sauce recipe posted here but I decided to give it a separate entry as I myself end up perusing it quite often.
Anything good should stand alone, irrespective of the pizza, though the Napoletana Pizza is awesome.
So the same recipe in just a new packaging and new place.
And seriously it is the best pizza sauce ever. Don’t doubt my word. It’s written in the Stars.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup celery chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce 3/8 cup tomato paste + ½ cup water
- ½ cup tomatopaste
- 2 tbsp cheese grated
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 small bayleaf
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup optional
- In a large skillet, melt butter with oil. Add the onion and celery. Saute until soft and transparent.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.
- Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).
- Remove the bayleaf and use as required.