Raw Turmeric Pickle is another instant pickle. Made with fresh turmeric root and ginger root. Salt and lemon juice are added to complement the pungency of these roots.
Ginger pickle is an everyday recipe for us, but I was recently introduced to Raw Turmeric Pickle by a couple of friends in our society.
For me discovering that you get turmeric root in vegetable market was a novelty and then realizing that lot of people daily and readily consume it one form or another to take due advantage of its health benefits was totally new. You can read more about properties and benefits of turmeric here.
Always willing to imbibe and introduce healthy ingredients and habits in my family meals, I was happy to learn the recipe for turmeric pickle and made it at the earliest chance.
One adds little ginger which hides the bitter taste of raw turmeric well, along with salt and lemon. That’s all it takes! Your instant turmeric pickle is ready. The flip side – Your hands will go yellow for 1-2 days, but there is really no help for it. You may try wearing gloves.
It stores well in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. You just need to keep moving the pickle around in the jar every other day, so that lemon juice doesn’t settle down, leaving the top layer dry and without juice.
Raw Turmeric Pickle
- 200 gram raw turmeric root kachchi haldi
- 50 gram ginger
- 3 lemon
- to taste salt
- Thoroughly wash and peel both ginger and turmeric roots. Slice them horizontally and then vertically giving you long and thin strands of ginger and turmeric. You can chop in any other size of your choice too.
- Place the chopped turmeric & ginger pieces in a clean glass jar. Add salt and lemon juice. Mix well and keep aside. Allow the pickle to absorb flavours from salt and lemon juice. The longer it sits, the better the flavour is. Usually 3-4 hours is a good time for it to become flavourful. Serve little with your meals.
- It stores well in refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.
- You just need to keep moving the pickle around in the jar every other day, so that lemon juice doesn’t settle down, leaving the top layer dry and without juice.
- Your hands will go yellow for 1-2 days, but there is really no help for it.