Applesauce Brownie is eggless brownie which is moist and decadent with hint of Cinnamon. Served with a side of ice cream it’s a gooey recipe.
Weaning a baby is fun & frustrating at the same time. I’m dreaming, sleeping, walking, talking brownie these days. Thanks to all the wonderful entries so far! I thought why not eat a brownie too so I made one just to enjoy the fun of the contest.
I chose a recipe from Bakin’ without Eggs by Rosemarie Emro. I’ve earlier baked delightful Black forest Cake & superwhite Silver White Cake from the same book. This time I adapted the recipe quite a bit & changed it to suit my need. I replaced vinegar with apple cider vinegar. I also made unsweetened apple sauce in place of sweetened apple sauce. I added a little bit of ground cinnamon to highlight & compliment the apple flavour. I also halved the recipe & replaced APF with 3/4 cup multigrain flour & 1/4 cup of quick cooking oats. I skipped light corn syrup.
In my first attempt I made the same recipe in full measure using my 11 x 7 x 1 1/2 inch Pyrex dish, but the baking time increased by double & I ended up caramelizing the sides & to make matter worse sliced it using a serrated knife. If this wasn’t enough I sliced them warm too :( I braced myself & gave them a second shot with half recipe as the taste was very good first time even in the caramelized state.
The brownies were very rich, delicious, chewy and loads of moistness, just as a nice brownie should be. It rose beautifully & uniformly. They were beautifully fudgy. I baked at night & allowed it to cool & firm up till morning. I ate with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and a drizzle of yummy chocolate sauce. The umpteenth benefit of working in peace & doing some food photography, you get to eat the dish all by yourself! ;)
- 55 gram dark chocolate
- 50 gram unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup oats quick cooking
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup semi-sweet choco chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- Pre-heat oven at 180 °C. Lightly grease only the bottom of a square pan. DO NOT grease the sides or the batter won't rise. I lined with butter paper with overhang on 2 sides so that brownie can be removed easily later on.
- Microwave butter & chocolate together on High for 1 minute or till melted. Remove & stir in oil, water, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract & apple sauce. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon, using a wooden spoon.Pour in melted chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips & nuts.
- Spread batter into prepared pan & bake for 25 – 30 mins. To check use a toothpick about 2″ from the side, if it comes out clean then remove. Rest of the brownie will firm up while cooling. Mine was done in about 34 mins.
- Completely cool in the pan on wire rack. Wait for 3-4 hours before cutting. Use a plastic knife or a table knife to cut. Do not use a sharp serrated knife. Serve as you please.