Raw Tomato Dal (Kootu) is a recipe made by combining a coconut based paste with cooked dal. Variations to dal are native to various parts of India, this one is a variation from Southern India.
As I rambled in coconut rice post, when in Rome behave like Romans, so when my partner was another South Indian I choose to expand my skills with another of their delicacy.
What I love about South-Indian cuisine is use of minimum oil & plenty of veggies. I chose Raw Tomato Dal as I thought it will go well with Coconut Rice. If I erred in combining the 2 then please excuse me women.
Raw Tomato Dal (Kootu)
for the dal (kootu)
- 4-5 raw tomatoes
- 1 cup split moong dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 5-6 curry leaves kadhi patta
- a pinch asafetida hing
for the masala paste
- Heat few drops of oil in a wok & roast masala ingredients except coconut.
- Once cool, grind to a fine paste along with coconut. Add water if required.Heat oil in a pan & add mustard seeds, curry leaves & asafoetida.
for the dal
- Pressure cook the dal with salt.
- Slice each tomato into 8 pieces & add in the pan. Add salt & allow tomatoes to cook.
- Now add dal & masala paste. Adjust salt if required.
- Adjust consistency as required. I made it little thinner as we were going to have it with Coconut Rice.
It was a lovely combination of Raw Tomato Dal & Coconut Rice. Thank you ladies for introducing me to such lovely dishes.