Raw Tomato Dal (Kootu)
Raw Tomato Dal (Kootu) is a recipe made by combining a coconut based paste with cooked dal. Variations to dal are native to various parts of India, this one is a variation from Southern India.
This Wednesday I am paired with Suchitra (EC) of Simple Indian Food. As I rambled in coconut rice post, when in Rome behave like Romans, so when my partner was another South Indian I choose to expand my skills with another of their delicacy. Knowing the Blog Hop schedule in advance has tremendous advantage, I planned to kill 2 birds with 1 stone – cover the blog hop wed with Radhika & Suchitra in one go & satisfy V’s hunger pangs.
What I love about South-Indian cuisine is use of minimum oil & plenty of veggies. Keeping this in mind, I promptly shot off a mail to Suchitra. She very helpfully guided me to 3-4 recipes loaded with veggies, out of them I chose Raw Tomato Dal as I thought it will go well with Coconut Rice. If I erred in combining the 2 then please excuse me women.
Raw Tomato Dal (Kootu) –
Recipe Source – Suchitra of Simple Indian Food
- 4-5 – Raw Tomatoes, hard
- 1 Cup – Split Moong Dal
- 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
- 5 -6 – Curry Leaves
- a pinch – Asafoetida
for Masala Paste –
- 1 tsp – Coriander Powder
- 1-2 – Red Chillies
- 1/2 tsp – Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp – Urad Dal
- 1-2 tsps – Grated Coconut
- 1 tsp – Oil
- Pressure cook the dal with salt.
- Heat few drops of oil in a wok & roast masala ingredients except coconut.
- Once cool, grind to a fine paste along with coconut. Add water if required.
- Heat oil in a pan & add mustard seeds, curry leaves & asafoetida.
- Slice each tomato into 8 pieces & add in the pan. Add salt & allow tomatoes to cook.
- Now add dal & masala paste. Adjust salt if required.
- Adjust consistency as required. I made it little thinner as we were going to have it with Coconut Rice.
It was a lovely combination of Raw Tomato Dal & Coconut Rice. Thank you ladies for introducing me to such lovely dishes.