Pan-Fried Kala Chana Kebabs are another take on making the nutritious snack into a healthier version. Instead of deep frying, one can pan fry them. The taste is exactly same and loved by many.
These Chane (Black Chana) ke Kebabs are a party favorite every time I have made them. Never failed to please them. And I have made them countless times. It is a recipe which I can now make in my sleep probably.
Sometime ago, we had a potluck party at our place and I had dal makhani, naan, dum aloo and kebabs on my list. To my horror, when I started frying these beauties, they fell apart. I was almost in tears and scraped the snack totally from the menu. Asked V to bring some munchies from outside for his drink buddies.
Since I didn’t have time and nor was in a mood to experiment to salvage them. I just pushed them in the farthest corner of refrigerator for the day and forgot.
Next day armed with some patience and better frame of mind, I decided to tackle them. My gut feel was that for some reason the batter was too dry and that is why falling apart and not binding well together. Putting this assumption to practice, I just added 1-2 teaspoons of water, just enough to slightly wet the dough and let it come together.
And it worked! I was happy.
But instead of deep-frying them as in original recipe, I chose to pan-fry them this time.
The result was exactly same but healthier. So, who wants to try this? Have you also had something gone horribly wrong when you are hosting a party?
Kala Chana Kebabs
- Soak channa overnight. Boil it with little salt & then allow it to cool.
- Drain water (preserve as stock for innumerable uses) & coarsely ground channas once it is cooled. Add little water to grind if required.
- Mix in onions, chillies & other ingredients.
- Now form into small balls, slightly press them to flatten.
- Heat a flat bottom pan, add ½ tablespoon oil and gently place the flattened balls on and around the oil. Allow the kebab to cook from one side on low flame for about 5-7 minutes, then gently turn it around and let it cook from the other side.
- Serve hot with chutney.