Homemade Potato Chips
Homemade Potato Chips are a great and healthy way to keep full tummies and happy hearts. The potatoes are sliced thinly and then parboiled. These parboiled potato slices are then sun-dried. Potato chips are ready for storing. These stored chips can stay fresh for 2-3 months if stored in an air-tight container. Whenever you want to eat, just fry as many as you need and enjoy crispy and hot potato chips. Made from scratch chips for the win!
You can replace potato with sweet potato. Crispy Potato Chips is a great kid-friendly recipe.
As the kids are growing up, feeding their hungry tummies and keeping their active minds occupied is fast becoming a challenge. I fall back a lot on how I kept myself occupied along with some activities thrown in to meet up the kids peer pressure demands.
By giving kids home made potato chips we are encouraging healthy and preservative free lifestyle and food practices.
The creativity and ingenuity of being a parent helps when faced with dilemma of ever hungry tummies. I think I am doing a fair job of keeping kids active and busy.
Same goes to keeping them full and satiated. I like to give them a mix of healthy food like whole flour along with some generous helping of carbs. Their bodies need it.
These chips were made with that express purpose. Few years ago, if someone had told me, that I would be making potato chips at home, I would have probably laughed it off but now I know better. And these chips are so easy to put together and enjoy for a long time that it’s no effort.
All you need to do is buy some large potatoes and NOW is the time to do that. Peel, slice and par-boil them. Dry them in some hot-hot Sun and you are ready with your stock of chips. Even my son helped in putting them out to dry. It is such a fun thing to get your family in making chips.
To know they have dried completely, check by breaking a slice. If it breaks with a snap and doesn’t show any raw edges then it is dried completely.
If you have an air-fryer, this becomes an oil-free super healthy recipe for kids.
Fry them when you please, kids say please or hubby needs with his cuppa. Sprinkle it with some chaat masala, plain salt or black salt. Enjoy!
Homemade Potato Chips
- 1 kg large potatoes
- Peel and wash the potatoes thoroughly. Slice them into oval slices using a slicer or knife. Take a big bowl and immerse the slices completely in water. Soak them overnight. Drain the water next morning.
- Next morning, boil water in a big vessel. The water is not measured, it should be enough to allow the chips to boil. Once the water is boiled add the drained potato slices. Cover the vessel and allow the potato slices to get cooked till slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from flame and drain them.
- Spread a thin muslin cloth in an area on your terrace where you get hot Sun. You can also use a cotton ‘dupatta’ or a ‘saree’. Quickly and gently spread the boiled potato slices to dry. They will dry completely in 2-3 days. You may need to move the entire spread inside if it gets cold and dewy around your place.
- Store the dried slices in an air-tight container. If stored properly, they stay good for 2-3 months. Fry them and enjoy as you wish with a cuppa. Sprinkle with some chaat masala, plain salt or black salt. Enjoy!
- Easy kid-friendly recipe of making your own potato chips.
- You can replace potato with sweet potato.
- To know they have dried completely, check by breaking a slice. If it breaks with a snap and doesn’t show any raw edges then it is dried completely.
- By giving kids home made potato chips we are encouraging healthy and preservative free lifestyle and food practices.