Apple and Plum Crisp is a crispy dessert served with ice cream on the side. Enjoy this for a weeknight party or after dinner sweet cravings.
V has a habit of gifting me some special & exclusive mementos depending upon what I am into at that time.
When I was regularly practicing Yoga, he gave me a Yoga Journal.
When I started this food blog over 3 years ago, he gifted me the coveted Moleskine Recipe Journal and many such special gifts over the years.
And I have a habit of saving each of them for a special time, a special occasion or a special task. I am happy in treasuring them alone.
But V wasn’t happy & he lately took to using sarcasm to highlight how I do not use any of the things he gives me.
I have never managed to win the war of words and I guess I never would.
I couldn’t convince him that such things are a treasure for me and I am holding onto them, taking care of them.
Since I am more into food photography than recipe development, I took to using Moleskine for jotting notes on photography (shot list, shoot pencil sketch, etc).
One such moment was captured while practising shots with plums.
Coming to the recipe, I used my earlier recipe of apple & pear crisp to make this one. I replaced pears with plums.
You can use any fruits and make this wonderful crisp.
If the plums are too tart, I suggest serving with whipped cream or ice-cream.
Apple and Plum Crisp
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup oats I used quick cooking type
- ⅓ cup walnuts roughly chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
apple plum filling
- 3-4 apples preferably tart
- 350 gram fresh plums
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tbsp corn starch
- Pre-heat oven at 190 °C. Grease 6 oz ramekins.
- Place all topping ingredients in a large bowl. Use your fingertips or pastry blender or a food processor to gently bring them together. I used a potato masher.
- Peel, core & chop into 1 inch chunks apple and place in a large bowl. De-seed and chop plums into 1-inch chunk. Add corn starch & sugar. Toss them to coat fruits evenly.
- Place the filling in the prepared dish, evenly spread the topping on top of it. Place the dish on a baking sheet to catch any dripping juices.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 35-45 mins. or until bubbly and the topping is brown and crispy. Remove from oven & cool on a wire rack for 15 mins. Serve warm with a scoop of ice-cream or whipped cream.
- adapted from here
- You can replace plums or apples with any fruit of your choice.
- If the plums are too tart, it is best to serve the crisp with ice-cream or whipped cream.
- You can replace whole wheat with all-purpose flour as in original recipe.