Apple and Plum Crisp is a crispy dessert served with ice cream on the side. Enjoy this for a weeknight party or after dinner sweet cravings.
V has a habit of gifting me some special & exclusive mementos depending upon what I am into at that time.
When I was regularly practicing Yoga, he gave me a Yoga Journal.
When I started this food blog over 3 years ago, he gifted me the coveted Moleskine Recipe Journal and many such special gifts over the years.
And I have a habit of saving each of them for a special time, a special occasion or a special task. I am happy in treasuring them alone.
But V wasn’t happy & he lately took to using sarcasm to highlight how I do not use any of the things he gives me.
I have never managed to win the war of words and I guess I never would.
I couldn’t convince him that such things are a treasure for me and I am holding onto them, taking care of them.
Since I am more into food photography than recipe development, I took to using Moleskine for jotting notes on photography (shot list, shoot pencil sketch, etc).
One such moment was captured while practising shots with plums.
Coming to the recipe, I used my earlier recipe of apple & pear crisp to make this one. I replaced pears with plums.
You can use any fruits and make this wonderful crisp.
If the plums are too tart, I suggest serving with whipped cream or ice-cream.
Apple and Plum Crisp | Moleskine Recipe Journal
It is perfect for a party as a make-ahead dessert or an impromptu one too.
- 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of oats, I used quick cooking type
- 1/3 cup of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
Apple Plum Filling:
- 3-4 apples, preferably tart
- 350 grams of fresh plums
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- Pre-heat oven at 190 C. Grease 6 oz ramekins.
- Place all topping ingredients in a large bowl. Use your fingertips or pastry blender or a food processor to gently bring them together. I used a potato masher.
- Peel, core & chop into 1? chunks apple and place in a large bowl. De-seed and chop plums into 1-inch chunk. Add corn starch & sugar. Toss them to coat fruits evenly.
- Place the filling in the prepared dish, evenly spread the topping on top of it. Place the dish on a baking sheet to catch any dripping juices.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 35-45 mins. or until bubbly and the topping is brown and crispy. Remove from oven & cool on a wire rack for 15 mins. Serve warm with a scoop of ice-cream or whipped cream.
adapted from here
You can replace plums or apples with any fruit of your choice.
If the plums are too tart, it is best to serve the crisp with ice-cream or whipped cream.
You can replace whole wheat with all-purpose flour as in original recipe.
Copyright, 2015 Lemon in Ginger. All Rights Reserved.