Bread Rolls is the famous snack made by deep frying potato rolls covered with bread. Bread rolls work good as a breakfast, party starter or evening tea snacks. One can enjoy them with Coriander and Mint Chutney, ketchup or with tea or coffee.
I am yet to meet a north Indian, who has not grown up or relish a good dose of fried food. Raise your hands if you are from up North and don’t enjoy your carbs. ;)
I started eating poha, namkeen vermicelli and dalia quite later and my first love is still the deeply sinful and fried Indian snack like samosa, kachori, bread roll, bread pakora and choicest indulgence.
Hence, it is no wonder that I am sharing a pure fried goodness here on the blog today. My most favorite – Bread Rolls. They are quite simple to make and require least amount of time if you have bread and boiled potato at home.
A must, must enjoy snack at home.
- 20 slices sandwich bread
- ½ kg potatoes boiled
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch asafoetida
- to taste salt
- fresh coriander leaves
- oil for frying
- Roughly chop or break the boiled potatoes into small bite sized pieces. I prefer breaking it than chopping it. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium sized pan, add asafoetida. Allow it to sizzle for few seconds, add cumin seeds, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix it well. Now add broken potato pieces to the roasted masala. Add chopped fresh coriander leaves. Set aside.
- In a flat bowl, take about ½ cup of water. Gently dip the bread slice in this water for just few seconds and quickly remove the slice. Place the soaked bread between your two palms and squeeze out the excess water, thereby flattening the bread slice completely. While holding bread slice in one palm, use your other hand to place a spoonful of potato mixture on the slice. Now gently fold up the sides of bread around the potato filling, rolling it into a round shaped or an oval shaped ball. The filling will be inside and the bread will form the outer covering. Make balls using all the masala or any number of desired slices and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok for frying. When the oil is hot, gently fry bread rolls till they are golden brown evenly. Serve hot with chutney or ketchup.
- I prefer breaking the boiled potatoes than chopping it. It gives a better taste as well as consistency to a dish.
- Soaking time of the bread slice largely depends on the quality of bread, if it refined flour bread and very soft, then even 1-2 secs of soaking will completely mush up the bread but if it is whole wheat bread and more sturdy, then it will longer soaking to get nice flat slice after squeezing.
- You can prepare the bread rolls without frying for 2-3 hours earlier and then fry them when you are ready to serve.
- In our household it is eaten largely as a snack or breakfast item.