Eggless Chocolate Ice Cream without Ice Cream Maker is the best thing here. Creamy, decadent and refreshing ice cream for chilling in this heat.
Who says? I say. A mother, who has been tending to sick kids for last 1 week for sore throat, fever and cold, wrapping them in blankets, sweaters and jackets as they shiver in cold. I CAN say that summers are gone and so are the days of eating scoops of ice cream.
But not before I made this last batch of Chocolate Ice Cream. Regular readers would know that I have hardly 2-3 recipes of ice cream on LiG, the primary reason being that it is so difficult to get no-crystals consistency.
But lately I have discovered the joy of making ice cream without the ice crystals and made Banana Ice Cream too a while ago.
The verdict – V said this is if not better than at par with the store bought ice cream. I am happy being at par. :)
Chocolate Ice Cream
- ½ cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- ½ cup sugar granulated
- ¼ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- ¾ cup full cream milk
- 1½ cup amul cream
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch salt
- 2 tbsp choco chips optional
- Whisk together cocoa powder and both sugars till combined well.
- Add milk to the cocoa mixture, and again mix well for about 2-3 minutes by hand or 30 secs by hand-held mixer.
- Add in cream, vanilla extract and salt. Mix till combined.
- Pour this mixture into your mixer jar and churn it for 10-15 minutes. The resulting mixture should resemble like a soft serve ice-cream.
- Transfer the mixture into a ice-cream container, or a pyrex dish with a lid or any air-tight container suitable for freezing.
- After 3-4 hours, remove from freezer and thaw for about a minute or two and then again churn the ice-cream. Pour it back into the container and freeze again. Repeat this after another 3-4 hours. Pour the mixture into the container and mix-in choco chips. Allow it to set finally overnight.
- Serve chilled.
- Use cream with at least 35% fat content. In India, only Amul cream of 28% fat content is easily available, so that is used but if you have access to higher fat content cream, please use that.
- Using higher fat content cream will give firmer and richer ice-cream.
- Add choco-chips in the end when you have finished repeated churnings and are ready to allow it to set for final time.
- Repeated churning allows to remove any ice-crystals, leaving a smooth and perfect ice-cream
- If you have an ice-cream maker, please move the mixture (step 4) into the ice-cream maker and churn for 20 minutes. And just set it one time in a pyrex dish. No need for repeated churning.