Eggless Carrot Cake is made with whole wheat flour with a subtle flavour of orange zest in it! Bake it in a pan of your choice and enjoy it on a cold winter morning with a cuppa.
I have consciously reduced the amount of sugar we eat and even my baking to a limited degree. It now adds freshness to our meals with its occasional appearance.
I have adapted this carrot cake recipe from here by talented DK of Chef in You.
I made few changes to suit the ingredients at hand and our taste.
I added 1/4 cup of candied ginger, replaced vegetable oil with olive oil, carrot juice with orange juice and added orange zest too.
I also reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup as we prefer mild sweetness.
I also needed to add 1 tablespoon of orange juice above what is required in recipe.
The cake was perfectly moist and divine to eat.
The smell and taste of cinnamon and candied ginger is enough to add this to holiday favourites.
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp orange zest fresh
- ¼ tsp all spice powder garam masala
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ cup orange juice add 1 tbsp extra if required
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups carrot grated
- ⅓ cup walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup dessicated or dry coconut grated
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C, Grease and dust a bundtpan. Coat walnuts with ½ tablespoon of flour, set aside.
- Sift together flours, salt, all spice, baking soda, cinnamon together. Add sugar and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, mix apple sauce, oil, vanilla extract, coconut, orange juice, grated carrots together.
- Mix the dry mixture in this wet mixture. Now add chopped walnuts, orange zest and candied ginger.
- Pour the mixture in prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes or till done.
- Allow it to cool completely on a wire rack and then de-mould.