Strawberry Malai Kulfi is a twist on classic malai kulfi. Made with condensed milk, reduced or evaporated milk and cashew powder, it is a great dessert. Rich and deliciously simple dessert.
Summer is here with a vengeance and what better to stay cool but with delicious home-made kulfis and that too in strawberry flavour.
I adapted my earlier recipe of malai kulfi by adding strawberries. I initially didn’t stew the strawberries and just added them after crushing but the kulfi didn’t turn very creamy, so next time I stewed and cooked the strawberries first and then added them to kulfi. The water content of strawberries evaporated and gave a much better texture.
Don’t let this summer heat take over you and enjoy with creamy kulfi!
Strawberry Malai Kulfi
- 2 litres full cream milk
- 400 gram condensed milk
- 4 tbsp cashew coarsely ground
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 kg fresh strawberries cleaned & roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- chopped pistachios & almonds slivers for topping
- In a thick bottom vessel, reduce the milk to half the quantity on a slow flame. When it is reduced, add condensed milk & heat for another minute or so. Allow it to cool.
- In the meanwhile, cook strawberries on slow flame. Allow them to release their juices and slightly thicken. Add sugar and cook for another couple of minutes. Gently mix the stewed strawberries. Let them cool.
- When thickened milk is cool, add cashews, cardamom powder and stewed strawberries. Blend well with a whisk. Pour into moulds or ice-cream tins for setting. Set in freezer overnight. Demold & serve chilled. Garnish using chopped pistachio or almond slivers.