Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Cake is a delicious tea cake. A small portion of chocolate batter is poured on top of vanilla batter and given a swirl pattern using a fork or toothpick.
Before this cake became by trademark hit with almost everyone, the marble cake from here was the most demanded. The only problem I had with making it in a jiffy were the number of ingredients it used including unsalted butter which I rarely keep at home. Also, it used to break apart many a times during de-moulding, so I had decided to reduce the baking powder and test if it fares better.
After a long time I made this cake and reduced the baking powder by half teaspoon and substituted oil for butter. I was waiting with bated breath to know the result, coz playing with proportions of basic ingredients in a cake was a first for me.
And my fears were unfounded and the cake came out in all it’s glory. Here it is!! Soft, moist and utterly delicious cake.
Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup multigrain flour
- 3 tbsp milk powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup sugar powdered
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 170 °C. Grease a loaf pan.
- Sift together all dry ingredients – flours, milk powder, baking powder and baking soda, keep aside. In a separate bowl, pour hot water on cocoa powder and mix well to form a paste, allow it to cool.
- Cream oil and sugar till light and fluffy. Add the flour mix and milk alternately, starting and ending with flour to get a smooth batter. Add vanilla essence to the batter. Mix again. Adjust milk to reach desired consistency if needed.
- Now add chocolate paste to the batter with a spoon & gently swirl with another spoon to make marble effect. Do Not use the same spoon for marbling & also Do Not mix uniformly. Both vanilla & chocolate mixture should show separately as marble effect.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan & bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow it to cool completely in the pan before de-moulding.