Gatte ki Sabzi is a Rajasthani curry made by steaming besan dough rolls. These rolls are then chopped into smaller pieces and made into curry.
Other curry recipes on Lemon in Ginger are sarson ka saag, kadhai paneer.
My first 24 hrs at my mom’s place, my first post with a recipe from my family’s kitty & meeting my younger sister for the first time since her wedding. Acknowledging so many firsts, this is a dish loved by all and made really well by my younger sister P.
My sister is very good in cooking and I happily accept, she is much, much, much better than me at it. So I couldn’t let go of the chance to eat a goodie made by her. So here I present the recipe with lots of love & wishes for her newly married life (may be not so new any more :) )
My mom served it with hot paranthas & pudina chutney. Nothing beats family’s cooking. :)
Gatte ki Sabzi
- 3¼ cup gramflour besan
- ¼ cup vegetable oil + 2 tbsp for curry
- 3 tsp of carom seeds ajwain
- ½ cup yogurt homemade curd
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- to taste salt
- a pinch asafoetida
- fresh coriander for garnishing
- Mix besan, salt & 1½ teaspoons of carom seeds in a bowl. Add ¾ cup of oil to it. Lightly mix the oil & try holding the mixture in your fist, if the mixture holds like a loose lump, then the oil is sufficient, else increase the quantity of oil. Add curd & knead the dough. If required add a little water. Keep the dough aside.
- Meanwhile boil water sufficient to allow soaking of all the rolls. Add 1 teaspoon oil to it. Take little dough and roll it between your palms such that it forms long cylinders & slowly place them in the boiling water.
- Once all the rolls are placed in the water, reduce the flame to slow and allow the cylinders to steam properly for another 4-5 mins. Switch off the gas and let the rolls stand in water.
- In the meantime, prepare seasoning. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok, add asafoetida, remaining carom seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder & coriander powder. Add water to the seasoning and allow to cook well.
- Chop the rolls into 1″ long pieces to make gatta. When the gravy is ready, add gattas. You can add or reduce quantity of water to achieve desired consistency. Serve hot.