Kadhai Paneer is the restaurant food most of us have tried and loved eating multiple times. The recipe is simply adding fresh paneer cubes to a rich and creamy tomatoes based gravy.
This is a truly Indian recipe which chefs, cooks and housewives around the world make it.
My sister makes it too and she does it best. So I got her to teach me to cook her delicious take on Kadhai Paneer. I have always maintained that both my sisters and my mother are far better cooks than I am or hope to be. But I do try to learn as much from them as and when possible.
My sister made this Kadhai Paneer while I was visiting my mom few months ago and I utilized the opportunity. I recreated it again in my kitchen and V loved it.
The gravy is rich, deep in color and as creamy as it should be. And the best part of this gravy is that it is versatile and can be used for many similar recipes.
I usually freeze the gravy, then thaw and use it as and when required.
- 4-5 small tomatoes cubed
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 3-4 green chilies slit lengthwise
- 1-2 big cardamom badi elaichi
- ½ stick cinnamon dalchini
- 1 bayleaf tejpat
- 2 cloves laung
- a pinch asafetida hing
- 1 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1 tsp coriander powder dhania powder
- ½ tsp mustard seeds rai
- 1 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- to taste salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup tomato ketchup sauce
- 1 cup lotus seeds makhane
- 2 tbsp mix of cashew, almonds & raisin kaju, badam, kismis
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp all spice powder garam masala
- milk to adjust consistency as required, I used ½ cup
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan, add asafetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cinnamon, big cardamom, cloves, bayleaf. Gently roast them till they leave natural aroma.
- Add tomato chunks, slit green chili and ginger slices. Roast them.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Toss the ingredients gently and cover the pan. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes till tender.
- To this mixture, add cashews, almonds, raisins, lotus seeds, tomato sauce and sugar. Mix well.
- Sprinkle all-spice powder. Now add enough milk to reach a desired consistency. Usually this gravy is served thick than runny, so adjust accordingly.
- Allow the mixture to boil. Remove from flame and allow to cool completely.
- Now remove using tweezers, bayleaf, cinnamon stick, big cardamom and cloves. Grind the gravy into a paste. At this stage you can freeze the gravy for future use.
- When ready to use, remove and thaw it well. Add paneer or any other vegetable like capsicum or mix vegetables, simmer gently for few minutes and serve hot with naan or parantha. Before adding vegetables, you would need to cook them (par boiled/ stir fry or steam).
- Adjust consistency using milk. Do remember that this gravy is served thick.
- You can also use the gravy for making many other varieties like Navratan korma, Veg Jalfrezi, etc.
- Before adding vegetables, you would need to cook them (par boiled/ stir fry or steam)