Ginger Pickle is instant pickle made with fresh ginger. Pungent taste of ginger is paired with lemon juice and salt.
When I was studying in hostel decades ago, ya I know, I almost have my feet dangling in the grave, food was barely edible at best but what can one do. Sigh! My mom started giving me this ginger pickled in white vinegar so that it wouldn’t get spoiled and would last me a long time.
And trust me it was a saviour of all sorts. Its a keeper recipe at my place and now even my kids love having it. If you are coming over for a meal, then be assured to be served this.
A very easy, instant ginger pickle which accompanies most food very well. All you need is little salt and lemon juice. Add salt a bit more for the lovely pick color and use freshest ginger possible.
- 5 inch ginger
- ½ tbsp salt
- juice of ½ lemon
- Thoroughly wash and clean ginger root. And thinly peel the skin. Slice it horizontally and then vertically giving you long and thin strands of ginger.
- Place the ginger pieces in a bowl. Add salt and lemon juice. Mix well and keep aside. Allow the ginger to absorb flavours from salt and lemon juice. The longer it sits, the better the flavour is. Usually 3-4 hours is a good time for the ginger to become flavourful. Serve it with chapati or eat straight off the bowl.
- You can add green chillis to it as well.
- It stores well for few weeks in refrigerator.
- If the ginger is fresh, then the ginger turns pinkish upon pickling.
- Also addition of salt, brings out pink color better.