Homemade Cumin Powder is the easiest DIY. Simply dry roast cumin seeds and grind them using a mortar and pestle for most flavorsome and fragrant cumin powder.
Have so many recipes here using Roasted Cumin Seeds. I thought why not share how to roast as well.
Why? Because roasted seeds powder is an essential spice in my kitchen. Because sprinkling roasted seeds on buttermilk, raita or a salad adds a wonderful flavor to the dish.
Roasting seeds at home is so easy that it is a shame to buy it.
All you need is roasted seeds and a thick bottom pan/ gridle.
You may grind the roasted using a mortar & pestle, a rolling pin on counter or in grinder.
Though the taste & smell of freshly roasted & ground cumin seeds is unbeatable but this works wonderfully too.
Having ready-to-use roasted seeds powder also ensures that V makes raita most of the times. ;)
Homemade Cumin Powder
- ½ cup cumin seeds
- Place a heavy bottom pan on slow flame.
- Roast the cumin seeds on it gently stirring all the while to ensure even roasting.
- Within few minutes it will start emitting roasted aroma and the color will change. Remove pan from fire.
- Place 1/2 tbsp of roasted cumin seeds on a mortar or platform and gently grind it using a pestle/ rolling pin.
- For best result, grind it when still hot. Or it may absorb some moisture and become slightly soggy to grind. If it happens then just lightly roast again for a minute or so.
- If grinding on a mortar or counter top, then it is advised to place a plate/ baking sheet under the mortar to catch any flying seeds during grinding.