Mawa Cupcakes are delicious cupcakes made with rich mawa (dried milk fat) and then topped with Pistachios. They are similar to mawa cake topped with blanched almonds which I already have on the blog.
Last week I was approached by Pagdandi Books Chai Cafe for Bake Sale. They specifically had requirement of Mawa Cupcakes.
I was a bit overwhelmed, sceptical and happy all at the same time. May be I am crazy to feel all these emotions and much more together.
Apart from one small order for a friend last year, I don’t do commercial orders. So for me it was unchartered territory.
I do have Eggless Mawa Cake posted roughly 3 years ago, recipe learnt in a Baking Class ages ago and egg is replaced by condensed milk here. In over the years, I stay away from using condensed milk as egg substitute as my own taste for it in baked goods have reduced and find the flavour too strong. Exceptions being Tres Leche Cake.
So instead of baking the earlier recipe into cupcakes I decided to try another one. I hopped over to Gayathri’s space for the same.
I used Wilton paper molds which are bigger in size and used pistachios to top it. Usually cashews are used. This is a rich and a recipe very close to Goan original recipe. The mawa can be made from scratch or bought from market.
Mawa has a very short life so best to use within 2 days of making or buying it.
The cupcakes were rich, soft & moist. Really delectable in each bite.
When I took the batch to Pagdandi, I was pleasantly surprised by such a cozy corner in the hustle bustle of the city. The interiors are earthy, the ambiance is welcoming and warm. I can spend hours over there stretching myself to sleep and dreams. :)
Vishal, the owner, promptly kept the cupcakes and was happy with the outcome. I hope his customers have been equally happy too.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup mawa
- 1 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup yogurt curd
- 3/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp pistachio chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C. Arrange Paper cupcake molds on a baking tray.
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy using electric mixer.
- Add mawa and beat well. Add curd and cream together.
- Add milk and mix until incorporated.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, corn flour, baking powder, cardamom powder and salt.
- Gently fold in the flour in 3-4 lots until all the flour is incorporated.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter into each cupcake mold. Sprinkle generously with chopped pistachios
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cupcake springs back upon touching. Remove from oven and allow it to cool.