Malai Kulfi is a rich and decadent melt in the mouth dessert made with evaporated milk and dry fruits. Milk is reduced and then mixed with ground cashew to give thickness and frozen in molds.
Summers are no time soon getting over and in this hot & humid weather, a nicely set kulfi would do wonders. With this thought in mind I dialed my aunt (mom’s sis) in Mumbai. Now you would wonder, why I would dial my aunt? The thing is that in Oct 2009, we visited her for a long weekend (i think due to 2nd Oct) and she treated us to yumm home-made kulfis. Mind you I’m not a big fan of home-made ice-creams because I’ve felt that they don’t set well enough with lot of ice-crystals. May be world has changed but I’m yet to try a home-made ice-cream which is perfectly set.
To go back to the kulfi – she served us kulfis and I bit into it with all apprehension waiting for ice-crystals to hit me. But there came none! WOW!!! And V being V, ate them like a glutton, aaarrgghhhhhhhh! And started pestering me to take recipe from her and make more at home. Well to tell the truth, I wanted to do the same :D. So the phone call to her. The recipe she gave me was simple and very-very easy to make, except for borrowing a deep wok from neighbor I was set to roll or freeze or chill or whatever!
This is the simplest recipe ever. With no GMS etc been added – just perfect kulfi! I’m planning to visit her again next month for a long weekend (15th Aug) and am already anticipating what goodies she will serve us. She is a good cook and I love food served and made by others – I get a holiday. Unpaid cooks like me, enjoy this break I guess!
- 2 liter milk full cream
- 1 can condensed milk 400 gram
- 4 tbsp cashew kaju, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp cardamom powder elaichi powder
- pistachios & almonds pista, badam slivers for topping
- In a thick bottom vessel, reduce the milk to half the quantity on a slow flame.
- When it is reduced, add condensed milk & heat for another minute or so. Allow it to cool.
- When cool, add cashew & cardamom powder. Blend well with a whisk.
- Pour into moulds or icecream tins for setting.
- Set in freezer overnight.
- Demould & serve chilled. Garnish using slivered pistachios & almonds.