Whole Wheat Bread with Ghee and Jaggery is a delicious light bread. It is made with whole wheat flour, ghee and jaggery. Soft, fluffy and airy pockets – all the ticks for a healthy bread.
Say no to refined food – flour, sugar as much as possible.
My repertoire of whole flour recipes are increasing slowly and I always tend to go in for lesser sweet. Now I have added using jaggery to replace granulated sugar. So Yay to me.
It was a great recipe, and every bite gave me the satisfaction of knowing that there is not refined flour or sugar in it. My husband loved this bread.
It is minimally adapted. The only thing I suggest is to cover the bread with aluminium foil after 10-12 minutes as the top browns very fast.
I found the dough to be sticky, so you may need to lightly flour your hands when handling or shaping the dough.
Whole Wheat Bread
- 3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-4 tbsp ghee clarified butter
- 1¾ cup warm water
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp jaggery crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix 1½ cups of flour in 1½ cups of water (retain the balance flour and water) and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Add instant yeast and jaggery to the ¼ cup of remaining warm water and mix well. Allow to proof for 10 minutes.
- Add yeast mixture to the wheat flour mix. Add salt and ghee.
- Start kneading adding the remaining flour little by little. I used one cup and half cup remained. If your dough is sticky, you can use wooden spoon to mix well before flouring your hands and kneading it.
- Knead for 15 minutes and then allow to rise for about 1.5 hours. Once doubled in size, gently deflate and knead lightly for a few seconds only. If the dough is sticky, you may need to lightly flour your hands when handling or shaping the dough.
- Shape into a loaf and transfer to a loaf pan and leave to rise for 45 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C. Bake for 12 minutes, then cover the bread with aluminium foil as the top browns very fast. Bake for remaining 25-30 minutes or till done.
- Remove from oven, cool in the pan for 10 minutes. De-mould and allow the bread to cool fully and then slice.