Sugar syrup at home is the easiest way to moisten your cakes. Cakes should always be soft, moist & decadent.
The right proportion of soaking with sugar syrup can achieve the melt-in-mouth texture without dissolving the cake into a gooey mess. Soak the layers before filling for a super-duper cake which can be easily decorated also. You can infuse this syrup with flavours of your choice.
The recipe below has been measured to soak 3 layers of 8-inch cake for just the correct moistness. Follow it for a perfect, moist & delicious cake.
- ⅓ cup sugar granulated
- 1 cup water
- Boil water & sugar together. Once it boils, lower the flame & allow it to heat for another 1 minute. Remove from heat & cool completely. It can be made in advance & stored in refrigerator.
- Use ⅓ cup of syrup to soak one layer of cake. If you are soaking White Cake then reduce the syrup per layer i.e. ¼ cup sugar in ¾ cup water. And soak each layer in ¼ cup syrup. With ⅓ cup syrup, I have found the cake to get over soaked.
for infusing flavour
- If you are infusing flavor like rose petals, then boil petals once sugar is dissolved for 5-10 minutes. Cool & strain. Continue to use for soaking and assembling.
- The more you soak the layers before filling, the more moist your cake will be.
- You can infuse this syrup with flavours of your choice. I have used it with dried rose cake by infusing it with 1 cup dried rose petals.