Tomato Cucumber Sandwich is one of the simplest way to make a crowd pleasing sandwich. It is mostly easiest of the recipes that makes up for delicious preparations. These sandwiches work well as picnic or travel snacks, quick snack for evenings or a party.
There are some family recipes and then there are some. This is one of the special ones, coz it was first made by my dad. So apart from having exceptional memories attached to it, it tastes too good.
It is simple to execute and taste great.
Wrapping the sandwiches in the wet muslin cloth is a must for those fresh, soft taste. They also store well for traveling in muslin.
This sandwich is a great hit with kids, adults alike and very easy to make-ahead especially for potlucks/ parties etc as finger food. I have one of my friend actually learn how to make it and an elderly neighbor who used to request these sandwiches for her long distance travels.
Tomato Cucumber Sandwich
- 6 bread slices
- 1 tbsp butter softened
- 1 fresh cucumber or zucchini sliced into thin rounds
- 1 fresh tomato sliced into thin rounds
- to taste salt
- to taste chaat masala optional
- to taste black pepper optional
- Wash and peel cucumber. Thinly slice into rounds using a sharp knife. Similarly wash and slice a tomato into thin round slices.
- Choose a bread of your choice – multigrain, white, brown, whole wheat, etc etc. Lightly butter the slices from one side. Place a layer of cucumber slices. Now place another layer of tomato slices on top. Sprinkle lightly with salt and chaat masala (optional). Top with another slice of buttered bread, with butter side facing down. Cut into triangles or squares or rectangles based on your preference.
- Wet a muslin cloth and squeeze it to remove extra water. Wrap the prepared sandwiches to keep them fresh and slightly moist at the time of eating. Enjoy with fresh cuppa.
- I prefer using chaat masala for just a hint of zing to the sandwich.
- Wrapping the sandwiches in the wet muslin cloth is a must for those fresh, soft taste. They also store well for traveling in muslin.
- This sandwich is a great hit with kids, adults alike and very easy to make-ahead especially for potlucks/ parties etc as finger food.